Out of the Silent Planet

Out of the Silent Planet by Gibberish17
I've recently returned from Malacandra- meaning I read Out of the Silent Planet for the 3rd time. And once again my mind was blown.

The first time I read the series because it was C.S. Lewis and it was cool, but didn't make much sense other than a weird science fantasy. The second read found me more mature in my spiritual walk and I understood the point of the book. That was the first time the book blew my mind.

The most recent read was the most excellent.

There are so man levels of greatness to Out of the Silent Planet. Even just the title is full of wonder. The most fascinating things about it were the logistic data- the history of the Wars in Heaven. I loved how at the beginning of the rebellion there was a successful attack on Malacandra resulting in one entire race of the four sentient races falling and ultimately having to be destroyed by the Oyarsa (which is pretty much the Archangel who rules Mars). I loved how the Oyarsa interviewed the protagonist about the history of Earth. This is an apologetic/sci-fi version of the pre-history of Earth and it's surrounding cosmos.

Ransom meets a Hross by Agahnim
Between my last time through it and this time, I discovered Edgar Rice Burroughs' John Carter books. Burroughs' stories predated Lewis' by a couple of decades, this fact took some of the unique-ness of the Space Trilogy away for me. I have now shed that sentiment. To me, Lewis' Space Trilogy is far superior than most science fiction I've ever read.

One note I feel needs to be said. This book (and the series for the most part) is not science fiction. It is more accurately described as science fantasy. This series is far superior to Lewis' Narnia series, in my opinion.


Out of the Silent Planet by Avion

Malacandra by Alice Chan




Comments

  1. This was really helpful! love the images! and i'm reading the book as i type!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You like C.S Lewis AND Stephen Lawhead? Where have you been all of my life? Your review and renditions of this books Aliens was so interesting that a put a link to it in my Blog Post about Out of the Silent Planet.
    I've also decided to FOLLOW your Blog. Good work.
    L-L

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Laura-Lee. Coincidentally, I JUST started listening to the audiobook of That Hideous Strength, today!

      Another series I hold as dearly as the ones you mentioned is the Madeleine L'Engle - Wrinkle In Time books.

      Thanks for the follow, too!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts

Labels

Show more